Thursday, October 25, 2012

Three's The Charm?


The first study  of these gladiolas was done with oil on canvas 24x36"...I loved the red against the black background...I was inspired by Soutine's painting of this subject...then I went to see a film, documentary by Werner Herzog, The Cave of Dreams, showing 30,000 year old drawings of animals found in the caves of France. The simplicity of the black and white and ocher (the color of the cave wall) was very inspiring so I tried it out...22x30" pastel on paper, which led to the last study(as the flowers were dying) drawn with only black pastel on hot pressed Arches watercolor paper...22x30"

2 comments:

James Lawrence said...

Wonderful Kate! I saw that movie too...amazing! Love the three versions, they're great.
Will see you Wed., having stitches out of my mouth Monday morning at 9:45, alas. But Wed. for sure.

Anonymous said...

I every time emailed this webpage post page to all my associates,
for the reason that if like to read it afterward my friends will too.
my web page :: here's their site link