Sunday, April 17, 2011

Still Life of J. Alden Wier's Old Turpentine Bottles

I love the color of these bottles in the light and the shadows that they cast....a linseed oil bottle also... Left overs from an artist's studio....from another life time....J. Alden Wier's lifetime to be exact....that would be the American Impressionist whose home and studio, now Wier Farm in Ridgefield Ct., was once the home of my dearest friend and her father the great painter, Sperry Andrews. When the family moved out and left the property to the National Trust they took with them the contents of the studios( toxic substances not wanted)...which they kindly offered to me to use....and paint....18x24" oil on canvas

6 comments:

jessie edwards said...

It seems like you bring life, joy and beauty to everything around you!

Kate Knapp Artist Blog said...

That is a wonderful observation and I appreciate it very much...maybe a wee bit over the top....but will accept with gratitude

Anonymous said...

Appreaciate for the work you have put into this post, it helps clear up some questions I had.

cba said...

I think these were Weir's bottles, originally.

At least some of them. The palette knife I'm pretty sure was Father's.

Very nice. Historique!

And yes, you do. My Mother once said "Thank God for Katie Knapp!"

Kate Knapp Artist Blog said...

Actually I think you are right...they were Wier's..too old to be Sperry's....Wow that makes this alot more interesting...or more historic anyway....

Anonymous said...

When will you post again ? Been looking forward to this !