Friday, December 23, 2011

Fatal Wound


We were taking a walk on a dirt road in the woods when we came apon this dead fox...the animal was so beautiful I wanted to take it back to my studio to paint it...however this idea was discouraged....so I picked up the frozen carcas and moved it off the side of the road thinking I will return with my paints...seeing it there, it's little black paws and lovely fur was very moving...as if it had just fallen asleep...when I returned it was not there...fortunately for me my husband had taken a good photo to work from....oil on canvas 24x30"

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I think this is a wonderful picture.

Well, I always do.

The colors and composition are both pleasing, peaceful and herald a rest for the poor sweet fox.

But the fox could be running, and scattering the leaves.

If not for the artists careful rendering of his mouth, with the grimace of rigor, one would never suspect him of being truly dead.

Steve beal said...

Red Fox are so seldom seen in nature, I'm really glad you chose to paint this.

D.R. said...

Reminds me of Chagall's dreams.....love it.