Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Winter in the City...NYC that is....

 
It is so cold here right now I am inspired to paint the winter scene...Cherry Lane Theater in the West Village ( I used to live there, the West Village that is) on a snowy evening...loved the light in the windows  at dusk...then of course the Rockefeller Skating rink...Could someone tell me who the statue is of spread out over the waterfall? I like this composition with the big tree not front and center....also love the random figures captured so well!  20x24" oil on canvas

3 comments:

cba said...

Looks so warm and so inviting...

and I love the skaters.

jessie edwards said...

I L O V E these! I think they are both amazing but I especially love the warmth of looking inside from outside...beautiful! How large are these two paintings?

Claudia said...

From Wikipedia
Paul Manship's highly recognizable bronze gilded statue of the Greek legend of the Titan Prometheus recumbent, bringing fire to mankind, features prominently in the sunken plaza at the front of 30 Rockefeller Plaza. The model for Prometheus was Leonardo (Leon) Nole, and the inscription, a paraphrase from Aeschylus, on the granite wall behind, reads: "Prometheus, teacher in every art, brought the fire that hath proved to mortals a means to mighty ends." Although some sources cite it as the fourth-most familiar statue in the United States, behind the Lincoln Memorial, Mount Rushmore, and the Statue of Liberty, Manship was not particularly fond or proud of it.